Volume 41 - Issue 3 - January 20, 2022
(Published in the Kansas Register January 20, 2022.)
The Scoular Company
Notice to Bidders
The Scoular Company is seeking bidders for a rail yard construction project at their facility in Downs, Kansas. Interested bidders should contact Brad Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org to request bid package. The bid package will include site layout, track plan, and track construction specifications. Bid packages for the project will be sent to all interested bidders on or about January 24, 2022.
Scope of Work
The work consists of the following items: add approximately 770 track feet of new rail construction, two turnouts, and all necessary civil/earthwork to construct a suitable railbed per the track construction specification documents. This project is the recipient of a KDOT State Rail Service Improvement Fund program grant and the contract for work will be directly with The Scoular Company, which reserves the right to reject any or all bids. Questions regarding the project should be directed to Brad Perry.
MSA and Roadway Worker Protection
Contractors must complete, and have on file, a current Master Services Agreement with The Scoular Company before work begins.
- Contractors shall comply with all parts of 49 CFR Part 214 and 219 regarding FRA Roadway Worker Safety at all times. Men and equipment shall remain clear of the track unless they have gained Roadway Worker Protection from a qualified person.
- Contractor, contractor employees, agents, and/or subcontractors must be enrolled and comply with the FRA 219 approved drug testing program.
- Any subcontracted work will need to be approved prior to construction.
Impact to current railroad operations must be kept to a minimum. When work must take place that causes an active track to be taken out of service for the purposes of performing work that pertains to the project, the contractor must pre-arrange a defined work window with The Scoular Company. Contractor can anticipate a minimum work window of eight hours.
All standards referenced by the project plans and specifications, as well as all applicable AREMA standards, must be upheld during all phases of the project work, unless certain standards are excluded from the project with written approval.
The following documents shall be submitted by the contractor as part of the project, at the times listed:
- Schedule of Work – submitted with proposal
- Certificate of Insurance – submitted prior to construction
- Safety Plan – submitted prior to construction
- Proof of Roadway Worker Training – submitted prior to construction
- All contractors must recognize this is a federal contract and agree to comply with federal requirements such as the Davis-Bacon Act, “Buy America,” and the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), where applicable
- Permits – contractor is responsible for all federal, state, and local permits required for the work
- Utilities – contractor is responsible to locate and protect site utilities
- Site Clean-up – contractor is responsible for proper site restoration and proper disposal of materials removed in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws
Contractor shall purchase required coverage and submit for verification a Certificate of Insurance.
All materials shall meet the requirements found in the project plans and/or specifications as well as applicable AREMA requirements. Material storage is granted on railroad right of way to the contractor. However, no materials shall be stored closer than 15’ from the centerline of any active track at any time. Material and equipment laydown areas and reclaimed materials stockpiling locations shall be discussed and further clarified at the pre-proposal meeting. All removed materials remain property of The Scoular Company, to be stockpiled as directed by a representative.
The Scoular Company has secured access to the project through the railroad right of way. Other access may be obtained by the contractor if he so chooses. All areas (public, private, and railroad right of way) that are used for access to the project, including parts of the railroad right of way which have no proposed work, shall be maintained and/or remediated, incidental to the project, by the contractor to the satisfaction of the property owner if any damage to these areas occurs.
All work pertaining to this project shall be completed by June 1, 2022.
Submission of a Proposal
All proposals must be submitted no later than February 18, 2022. All submitted proposals shall be reviewed by The Scoular Company. Please ensure your proposal includes all required information. All incomplete proposals shall be rejected. The structure of your proposal must be able to be clearly understood, all proposals shall provide the following line items and provide costs as required below:
- Provide a total sum of all line items on the proposal
- Mobilization and demobilization – lump sum
- Material (supply), labor (install), and equipment for each line item
- Tamp and regulate – lump sum
- Performance bond (sum not less than amount of the contract as awarded) – lump sum
- Clean up work site to completion – lump sum
Daily work reports must be filled out and submitted to the designated Scoular representative. Weekly reports should include updates to project schedules, any delays, or any change in the scope of work. A detailed summary report must be submitted at the completion of the project.
Senior Operations Manager
Doc. No. 049707