Volume 40 - Issue 37 - September 16, 2021
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking qualified consulting engineering firm(s) for the project listed below. Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT in the following category: Category 203 Value Engineering. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. A PDF response must be emailed to email@example.com. Responses are to be limited to four pages; the subject line of the reply email and the file name must read “10-23 KA-3634-02, 03 VE RFP – Firm Name.” Request for Proposals (RFPs) must be received by 12:00 p.m. Friday, October 1, 2021, for the consulting firm to be considered.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT a response may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for the category listed in this notice for the project. Firms may use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification category definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
Scope of Services to be Performed
Value engineering study for projects 10-23 KA-3634-02 and 10-23 KA-3634-03 (often referred to as South Lawrence Trafficway or SLT).
- 10-23 KA-3634-02 involves:
- Adding 2-lanes to the existing 2-lanes for a 4-lane freeway section of K-10 from the I-70/K-10 junction south to 3500 ft. north of the K-10/US-40 junction. This will include reconstruction of the existing interchange at I-70 (KTA)
- 10-23 KA-3634-03 involves:
- Add 2-lanes to the existing 2-lanes for a 4-lane freeway section of K-10 from 3500 ft. north of the K-10/US-40 junction, south and east to the K-10/US-59/Iowa St. junction
- Existing interchanges at US-40 (6th St.) and Bob Billings Parkway, and new interchanges at Clinton Parkway, Wakarusa Drive, and US-59 (Iowa St.)
Value Engineering services requested:
- Pre-Study Activities:
- Perform pre-study activities including coordinating with KDOT coordinator to establish review criteria, determine team members, study schedule, and make provision for team meetings and provide continuous project management
- Perform pre-study administrative duties relative to value engineering study including phone conversation/virtual meetings with KDOT coordinator, preparation of study estimate and/or study review, transmittal letters, documents, etc., arrangement of travel and lodging (if necessary), prepare report format for study report
- Perform pre-study activities including discussing value engineering process and project with KDOT coordinator, collect and review project info and distribute info to team, coordinate briefing of project team, coordinate site visit and prepare for value engineering study
- Review cost estimate
- Value Engineering Study Activities:
- Perform site visit of project site
- Lead the value engineering team in the performance of the study
- Post Study Activities:
- Prepare draft report and submit for review
- Prepare final report and submit
- Printing, binding, shipping reports
- Other activities as recommended by respondent
Anticipated Schedule for Subsequent Events
RFPs are due by 12:00 p.m. (CST) Friday, October 1, 2021. Evaluation and ranking of technical proposals on or about October 8, 2021, after which time all firms that submitted will be notified. Negotiations with the most highly ranked firm to commence on or about October 22, 2021. Agreement in place and in effect November 22, 2021. Proposals are to be delivered via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for Proposal
No costs shall be contained in the proposal. The proposal must not exceed four (4) pages total to address the pertinent topics. Please use the following naming convention for submittal: “10-23 KA-3634-02, 03 VE RFP – Firm Name.” Proposals submitted will also include a completed and signed Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and a completed and signed Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). Subconsultants will need to complete these attachments as well. All these forms are attached to the original email announcement.
Proposals shall describe any processes or procedures, including best practices, that will be used to perform tasks and to produce deliverables described above under “Scope of Services to be Performed.” Also, include items such as:
- Project Manager/Engineer in charge
- History of Projects with similar tasks
- Availability of staff to meet schedule without overtime
- Familiarity with KDOT standards and content
- Any subconsultant and their role (if any) who will be performing services on the project
Proposals will be evaluated based on the factors listed below, evenly weighted, to rank the most qualified firm in order of preference as first, second, third, etc. Evaluation factors: 1) the quality and completeness of the response; 2) qualifications and experience of consultant design personnel/manager proposed for services; 3) proposed study approach; 4) availability to respond to the work; and 5) past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT. The highest ranked firm will be asked to enter into negotiations with KDOT for an agreement. In the event KDOT cannot reach agreement with the ranked firm, it will terminate negotiations with such firm and commence negotiations with the next highest ranked firm, and so on, until either agreement is reached for a satisfactory scope of services for a fair and reasonable price, or KDOT decides to pursue other alternatives.
Exhibits to this RFP
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for this project. Special Attachment No. 8 (for the Kansas “Tax Clearance Certificate”) and Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”) will also eventually become attachments to the contract.
Questions about this request for proposals shall be sent by email to KDOT at email@example.com.
Ben Asnicar, PE
Interim Contracts Engineer
Doc. No. 049446