Volume 40 - Issue 20 - May 20, 2021
State of Kansas
Department of Health and Environment
Request for Comments
In accordance with Section 303(e) of the Federal Clean Water Act (CWA) and the interpreting regulations at 40 CFR 130.5, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Bureau of Water has prepared an update to the Kansas Continuing Planning Process (CPP) and is inviting the public to provide comments. The Kansas CPP provides an overview of the programs and processes applied by the state to meet the CWA objectives of preventing, reducing, and eliminating pollution in the nation’s waters in order to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of those waters. As required by 40 CFR 130.5, nine primary elements are addressed by the Kansas CPP:
- The process for developing effluent limitations and schedules of compliance.
- The process for incorporating elements of any applicable areawide waste treatment plans under section 208 and applicable basin plans under section 209.
- The process for developing total maximum daily loads (TMDLs).
- The process for updating and maintaining Water Quality Management (WQM) plans.
- The process for assuring adequate authority for intergovernmental cooperation in the implementation of state WQM plans.
- The process for establishing and assuring adequate implementation of new or revised water quality standards.
- The process for assuring adequate controls over the disposition of all residual waste from any water treatment processing.
- The process for developing an inventory and ranking, in order of priority needs for construction of waste treatment works.
- The process for determining the priority of permit issuance.
The updated Kansas CPP is available at https://www.kdheks.gov/tmdl/ks_cpp.htm.
Comments on the document will be received through June 21, 2021 and may be submitted in writing or via email. Please direct comments and questions to Michelle Probasco of the Watershed Planning, Monitoring, and Assessment Section of KDHE at 1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 420, Topeka, KS 66612-1367; by email at Michelle.Probasco@ks.gov; by telephone at 785-296-8229; or by fax at 785-559-4258.
Lee A. Norman, M.D.
Doc. No. 049153